The Green Healthcare Programme has produced a Case Study on the Waste Prevention Programme implemented by University Hospital Galway.
Click here to download the Case Study
This Case Study outlines the positive measures implemented for the prevention of food waste and healthcare risk waste including:
- Purchase of new food containers (scan boxes) to allow smaller quantities of food to be sent to wards
- Revision of the time when patients order meals, to allow the kitchen to better predict the meals required
- Monitoring of the number of unserved food portions to identify unpopular meal options, and provide a better meal selection to patients
- Review of healthcare bin provision and use of ‘Bio Systems’ waste system to incorporate re-use of rigid containers
- Training and awareness drive among staff of healthcare waste classification procedures