The Environmental Protection Agency holds an annual week in June to highlight the issue of food waste. Reducing food waste is a key climate action that can be taken within healthcare facilities.
- Training is available on reducing food waste in healthcare, both online and in-person for catering staff.
- The HSE is required to reduce food waste by 50% by 2030 as a public sector obligation. See a guide to reducing food waste in healthcare.
- The EPA national food waste prevention roadmap includes actions on food waste prevention.
- For the EPA’s Food Waste Charter, organisations that sign up commit to tracking and reporting on food waste and taking action on reduction.
- Bin stickers for bins to help food waste segregation.
- Posters to help segregate waste correctly, including for food waste into brown bins, are available.
- Various resources for work and home on www.stopfoodwaste.ie including: